My favourite 3 DIY headboards

This is the second post in My Favourite 3 blog series (if you missed the first one, you can check it out here: My favourite 3 IKEA BILLY hacks) and this one is about DIY headboards… not the usual sort of furniture many people would think of making themselves (unless they are naturally very creative), but my favourite 3 DIY headboards below are all really do-able yet look amazingly gorgeous and worth a lot more than they cost to make.

1. Shaped upholstered Otomi headboard

Grace Bonney DIY headboard

First up is a shaped headboard upholstered in a striking Otomi fabric made by Grace of Design*Sponge several years ago. It is in fact this headboard which introduced me to Design*Sponge when I was just dipping my toe into the creative world. Grace created a detailed video tutorial for the headboard which makes it easy to follow and feel really do-able. Having never done a DIY before that point, her headboard tutorial made me feel that even I could make something like that. (I haven’t yet had the opportunity to make one yet, but feel that one day I will!) The shape of the headboard and the amazing fabric make this statement headboard look very bespoke and high-end. It doesn’t even have to be a patterned fabric; a sumptuous plain fabric in a bold colour would look fabulous too.

2. Wooden headboard made from bed slats

Pati's headboard

How very gorgeous is this large wooden headboard?? Pati of Style Squeeze made it for her daughter’s bedroom out of cheap bed slats, would you believe?! I love the scale of it and the wood looks amazing in this dark blue room! It’s got me wondering whether I should attempt something like this for my kids’ bedrooms in the future when they get bigger beds. You can find her comprehensive tutorial here.

3. Wall to wall channel tufted headboard

Channel tufted headboard made by Bianca of French for Pineapple.jpg

This headboard made by Bianca of French For Pineapple just blew me away! Bianca made an upholstered headboard spanning the entire width of the wall! The fabric she chose is absolutely stunning and the icing on the cake was covering her divan base in the same beautiful fabric. It all looks so gorgeous and boutique-hotel-chic. Ok so it’s not very easy to work with such long pieces in a home, as her detailed tutorial shows, but if you have the space, then this statement headboard is achievable with basic DIY know-how. I know you’ll want to see more photos of this masterpiece; you can check them out in her post here.

Have you ever thought about making a headboard? Or any other type of furniture? I’d love to hear your ideas!

12 Comments

1. September 13, 2017 / 1:44 am

These are such gorgeous ideas! Thanks for the inspiration!

• September 13, 2017 / 2:11 pm

Delighted you like these ideas, Dawn! 🙂

• September 14, 2017 / 11:33 am

Thank you Malcolm! 🙂 x

2. September 14, 2017 / 7:56 pm

That last one is STUNNING Meera!!! I love, love, love the marbled paint effect fabric; just gorgeous!! That’s amazing that we’ve had two DIY headboard posts linking up to this week’s #HomeEtc Such fabulous examples too… although I don’t think I’d have the patience to make my own!!

Thanks so much for linking up with us lovely!vxx

• September 15, 2017 / 10:34 pm

I agree Caro, the fabric is absolutely stunning! Yes, I saw Anne Marie’s post – clever lady! xx

3. September 17, 2017 / 10:08 pm

Such brilliant ideas, all of them! I would never even know where to begin. Thank you so much for linking up lovely X #HomeEtc

• September 22, 2017 / 9:01 pm

I love these because each of the tutorials breaks it down and shows how anyone can make one. Just need to decide what sort of headboard to make! x

4. September 19, 2017 / 10:05 pm

I’m not sure about the last one – it definitely has impact, but maybe it’s the fabric i’m not keen on. I’ve recovered a headboard before – the old shell style sort, much improved with some lovely Laura Ashley fabric! #homeetc

• September 22, 2017 / 9:04 pm

Sounds like your headboard reupholstery was a success Stephanie! I actually really love the marbled effect fabric, it’s bold and contemporary, but each to their own 🙂 x

5. September 20, 2017 / 12:57 pm

I just love Pati’s daughters headboards, she’s a one lucky girl 🙂 And Bianca’s headboard is just beyond everything imaginable! Actually until now I did not realise it was her DIY project, it honestly looks million dollar 🙂

• September 22, 2017 / 9:04 pm